Second person of interest emerges after judge unseals Las Vegas shooting records
- Author: Megan Austin Feb 01, 2018,
Feb 01, 2018, 0:34
"Haig did not release other details before walking into his home in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa".
The coroner also confirmed that 1 October shooter Stephen Paddock killed himself but autopsy results may provide a glimpse into the motive behind his senseless actions. The official spoke anonymously because they weren't authorized to disclose case information.
Haig also worked at Northrop Grumman from 2004 to 2010, specializing in military platforms and technology, his LinkedIn indicates. "Haven't heard from them since", Haig told Newsweek Oct. 4.
In a statement to the Associated Press (AP), Haig said he had met the shooter, Stephen Paddock, once for an ammunition deal.
Newsweek reported Tuesday the magazine had interviewed Haig in October but didn't publish his comments then. The company's website says it sold tracer and incendiary ammunition but is now "closed indefinitely".
The newspaper published the name online.
During a January 20 update on the shooting investigation, Lombardo noted that the FBI has an open investigation into an unnamed person of interest, though he repeatedly said Stephen Paddock was the only shooter.
Haig's name had not been previously released, and the newspaper was unable to reach him for comment.
Haig did not respond to CNN calls Tuesday evening.
In court documents to apply for search warrants nine days after the shooting, Las Vegas police said Haig "may have conspired with Stephen Paddock to commit murder with a deadly weapon", but Haig has denied the allegation. She is not likely to face any charges, according to authorities involved with the investigation.
Turkey to return Syrian refugees to their homeland - Erdogan
Commenting on the Turkish incursion into Syria, US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said: "Turkey has legitimate security concerns". It was not immediately clear which issues would be addressed but Turkish-American relations have been strained.
Correction: This story has been revised to give the correct first name of Douglas Haig, identified as a person of interest in the case. A Federal Bureau of Investigation spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.
Lawsuits from media organizations requesting to make the documents - which included autopsy records of the 58 victims, whose names were blacked out - public were what sparked the ordered release of the court records. The court released almost 200 pages of records after the hearing.
The other is Paddock's girlfriend, Marilou Danley.
Las Vegas Sheriff Joe Lombardo has said he doesn't expect Danley to face any charges.
Investigators are yet to explain why they believe the 64-year-old retired accountant carried out the massacre, which was the worst in USA history.
Court officials are redacting the warrant records in preparation for release later Tuesday.
Judge Elissa Cadish issued a written order to "release documents showing what investigators told judges to obtain search warrants".
Internet history found on a computer in his suite at the Mandalay Bay hotel showed his searches only became focused on Las Vegas within weeks of the attack, according to a police report. The coroner and county attorneys didn't immediately say whether they would appeal Williams' ruling to the Nevada Supreme Court.
The coroner has already named bullet wounds as the cause of death for all 58 victims, but the detailed records could shed light on the medical response time to those killed in the shooting. At a news conference January 20, authorities said that although shooter Stephen Paddock acted alone, the FBI was investigating a second person who could yet face charges not directly connected to the shooting itself.
The Associated Press and Las Vegas Review-Journal are seeking the autopsy records to answer questions including whether there were delays getting medical care for any of the victims who died.