Wembley awarded four more Euro 2020 games to take total to seven
- Author: Regina Holmes Dec 08, 2017,
Dec 08, 2017, 1:36
Brussels has lost its right to host games at the 2020 European Championships, with Wembley now set to stage four more additional matches for the competition.
Belgium's capital city was due to have three group fixtures and one last-16 tie, but delays over a new stadium forced UEFA's executive committee to make changes to the schedule.
The 2020 tournament is being played in 12 cities across Europe, instead of one or two host nations, as a one-off to celebrate the tournament's 60th anniversary.
Glasgow's Hampden Park had been hoping to stage the tournament's opening game but that honour has gone to Rome's Stadio Olimpico.
However, UEFA opted for Wembley, which has already been chosen as the venue for the semi-finals and final.
But the exclusion of Brussels means the 90,000-seater venue will also get group games and a match in the first knockout round.
Global airline industry's 2018 net profit expected to rise: IATA
De Juniac urged governments to "raise their game" and do more to ensure infrastructure can cope with higher aviation demand. IATA anticipates jet fuel prices will increase to $73.8 per barrel next year, up 12.5 percent from $65.6 per barrel in 2017.
Bilbao and Dublin were paired together.in Group E.
The Football Association of Wales last night declared itself "extremely disappointed" with the decision, declaring Euro 2020 its "one and only chance" of staging a major tournament.
Provided England qualify for the competition, which is being expanded from 16 teams to 24, they will play at least two of their group-stage fixtures at Wembley.
"This has been a collective and collaborative process and we could not have done it without the support of the Government and the Mayor of London".
FA chiefs were humiliated when they bid for the 2018 tournament, which was awarded to Russian Federation in same controversial ballot that saw Qatar land the 2022 event. "Today we don't know if they can build a stadium or not", he told reporters at UEFA headquarters in Nyon.
Ceferin said the decision followed the Eurostadium project's failure to meet the conditions imposed by the UEFA executive committee in September 2017.