Security Council condemns NKorea missile test
- Author: Megan Austin May 28, 2017,
May 28, 2017, 2:05
As North Korea launched a new type of "medium long-range" ballistic missile that it claimed to be capable of carrying a heavy nuclear warhead, U.S. Rep. John Faso praised the countervailing policies of the Trump administration.
The North's state-run media agency said Sunday's test involved a mid-to-long range ballistic missile that could be blasted off and out of the planet's atmosphere and then return, and quoted leader Kim Jong Un as saying the US mainland is in "sighting range for a strike".
Russian President Vladimir Putin weighed in Monday morning, calling the test "counterproductive" and "dangerous", but he also suggested the USA and it's regional allies could bear some of the blame, saying "we must stop intimidating North Korea".
Analysts said the test suggested an actual range of 4,500 kilometres (2,800 miles) or more if flown for maximum distance. Yet 38 North also says new assessments of what North Korea's missile program can do are now necessary.
Dictator Kim Jong Un personally oversaw the launch and, according to state media, warned that USA territories were within reach and that the North was capable of a retaliatory strike. Pyongyang has since threatened a sixth.
Last week South Korea elected a new president, Moon Jae-In, who advocates reconciliation with Pyongyang and said at his inauguration that he was willing "in the right circumstances" to visit the North to ease tensions.
Turkey's Erdogan prepares to regain leadership of party he founded
Erdogan defended the state of emergency and said it would remain in place "until the situation reaches peace and welfare". Having left AKP for 998 days, Erdogan on May 3 rejoined the party he founded.
A closed-door emergency Council session was set for tomorrow.
The KCNA report said that, as ever, the test had been overseen by the North's Supreme Leader, Kim Jong-un.
"It is considered an IRBM [intermediate range ballistic missile] of enhanced caliber compared to Musudan missiles that have continually failed", Han said while also stating Sunday's test was "successful in flight".
The initial assessment by US intelligence is that the missile launched by North Korea was a KN-17, a medium-range ballistic missile, according to two USA officials.
UN Security Council's resolutions strictly forbid any activity on developing nuclear weapons and delivery vehicles on the part of the DPRK. "The United States maintains our ironclad commitment to stand with our allies in the face of the serious threat posed by North Korea".
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told reporters in Sydney on Monday that North Korea's conduct was "reckless", "provocative" and "unlawful".