Chelsea recall Ake from Bournemouth loan
- Author: Regina Holmes Jan 10, 2017,
Jan 10, 2017, 0:53
Nathan Ake, the left-back who impressed with Bournemouth this season on loan from Chelsea has been recalled by his parent club, it was announced on Sunday.
Ake made 12 appearances and scored three goals and Conte has challenged him to break into his team.
But with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte seeking competition for left-sided wing-back Marcos Alonso, Ake has been summoned back to Stamford Bridge.
Ake will return to the Chelsea squad in time for their next league fixture, away to Leicester City on January 14.
"Ake is a really good player and now in the last five games he's started to play with Bournemouth and is playing every game", Conte said.
He memorably popped up with Bournemouth's last minute victor in a recent 4-3 victory over Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, which further boosted parent club Chelsea by damaging title rivals.
Ake has become a key player for the Cherries and has caught the attention of Antonio Conte
"He can fill a number of positions, but I think that's what he'll be: a number", he said.
Eddie Howe, manager of Bournemouth also recently expressed fears that he may lose Ake.
Bournemouth confirmed Ake had been recalled with a statement on their website.
Ake has made just one Premier League start for Chelsea before, with that coming in May 2013.
"Conte doesn't change the team a lot, unless there's burnout. We also had some other good games where we kept clean sheets which were great and other games which I will remember for the wrong reasons".
United Nations chief calls for putting 'peace first'
New UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres issued his first address on Sunday, where he appealed for peace in the world. The new Secretary-General is named António Guterres.