Schools superintendent says Abbotsford, BC, stabbing was 'random act'

The two female victims were rushed to hospital where one later died, the other remains in stable condition.

"We need to determine who knows him, who knows of him, his history and anything about him for that matter", Staff Sgt. Jennifer Pound, spokeswoman for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said on Wednesday.

CBC cited Rich as saying the attacker did not appear to be a student at the school and may not have had any connection to the victims.

Bystanders provided first aid and the girls were rushed to hospital, but Reimer later succumbed to her injuries.

Ward Draper says reports from police that the attacker was a barefoot homeless man will reinforce misguided stereotypes that these people are all angry, insane and violent.

"Evidence suggests this attack was random", Pound said.

IHIT has taken over the investigation; motive for the stabbing is unclear at this point.

The attack began when a shoeless man walked into the school early in the afternoon, according to police.

"Mr. Klein is of no fixed address and has been known to frequent the Vancouver area since February/March of this year", said Pound.

Uber hits road with overhauled smartphone app
The request will be made within the app if the person designated at the end of the ride also has Uber installed on the phone. If you love Uber but think its app is overloaded with options and bit confusing to new users, your relief is nearly here.

Police and school-district officials have said they believe the attack was a random act of violence against the two teenage girls and they don't believe the victims knew their attacker.

"I believe the staff were so proactive and so quick that further tragedies probably were prevented by their actions", Rich says.

She says police are not naming either of the victims and are asking the public for any information on Klein and his whereabouts leading up to the stabbing.

"I'm shaken, I'm shocked", British Columbia Premier Christy Clark said.

Clark said her government will do whatever it takes to make sure children are safe in B.C. schools.

At 2:05 p.m., the Abbotsford Police Department received a call of an assault in progress at the school.

Having been known as Abbotsford Collegiate, the school changed its name back to Abbotsford Senior Secondary in 2012 to coincide with a major redevelopment of the campus.

The school will remain closed for the rest of the week, while the gym at St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church across the street will remain open for students and family to access counselling and information.

  • Megan Austin